Although there is no reliable evidence to suggest that even long-term intensive use of VDUs is damaging to the eyes, it is true that VDU users tend to complain of eye strain more than non-users.
This is likely to be due to fatigue through causes such as:
- Insufficient and infrequent rest periods
- Incorrect positioning of the screen and/or documents
- Unsuitable lighting
- Poorly designed work area
- An uncorrected eyesight fault such as long sight, short sight, astigmatism or presbyopia
- The eyes not working ‘as a team’
Any of these conditions could lead to fatigue; all can be overcome through good design of the working environment and by regular eye care.